Thursday, November 12, 2009

Featured Etsy Artist: pocketfulofpinwheels

Ariel Eldridge, otherwise known to her Etsy friends as "pocketfulofpinwheels," is an art teacher turned stay-at-home mom, fabric designer, quilt artist, and blogger. Her original illustrations, many of which are based on classic storybook themes, have found their way onto fabric via the innovative business Spoonflower, which provides artists with the ability to print their own fabric designs in an eco-friendly way.

Ariel's resulting original cotton prints are simply too darling to cut! I know, because I have some in my stash, and they are highly coveted, trust me!

Here are some examples of her original design prints, including Robots, Willard the Gnome, Millie Miss Muffet, and my personal favorite, Lily Red Riding Hood.




Lollies and Hedgies:



Willard the Gnome:


"My name is Ariel Eldridge and I love living in rural Indiana with my sweetheart hubby (who slightly resembles Peyton Manning...or Peyton resembles him!) and our fiesty 2-year-old little guy. I'm a licensed art teacher from Purdue, but took the plunge of stay-at-home-mom status two years ago and am so blessed to have these years with my son. To keep myself sharp, I illustrate, quilt, and design fabric. I've enjoyed running my etsy shop, Pocketful of Pinwheels, for less than a year."

"I never thought to myself, "Someday I want to be a fabric designer", but the role has fallen into my lap and is such a joy. I love my customers and have the pleasure of meeting sewers and quilters from all over the world through my small business. My hope is to create designs that are nostalgic and whimsical for the modern sewer. Illustration is my passion and it has been such fun translating that onto fabric."

Ariel is also a quilt artist, translating fabric into darling quilts that combine vintage appeal with a fresh modern aesthetic.


Ariel's blog, "The Creative Juices of Ariel" is a must read for me. She has some really fun tutorials on her site, including one on making children's party hats. Another tutorial will show you how to make designer burb cloths for infants, using standard cloth diapers and your own favorite fabrics.

To find out more about Ariel's life and work, visit her Etsy shop, blog, and flickr site.

No comments:

Post a Comment