Friday, November 13, 2009

Featured Etsy Artist: TheBobbinsNest

When I first saw Elisa White's pictorial quilt called "Wee Three Birds" on Etsy (pictured here), I was blown away. This striking twin-sized bed quilt features a bold graphic design highlighted by a crisp white background. Her quilting on this piece accentuates the design without overpowering it. Not surprisingly, Elisa is a professional longarm machine quilter, but more about that later. Right now, let's take a look at some of her pictorial quilts.

Here is "Wee Three Birds." This same design is available on Elisa's Etsy shop in both twin and crib size.

The next photo shows a close-up of the rick rack she used to complete the appliqued motifs:




This darling twin quilt features "Oliver Lil Hoot on a Limb" - perfect for a little boy's first quilt. Like her other pictorial quilts, this one features dramatic visual impact with its combination of a clean color palette on a solid, crisp background.

Again, as you can see in the close-up, her choice of quilting motifs blends perfectly with the design, adding texture and fluidity to enhance the image, mirroring the other round shapes in the applique, such as the owl's large eyes and the leaves on the tree.




Not to leave the little girls out of the picture, Elisa also has a feminine version of her "Out on a Limb" design. Here is a close-up of "Abigail Lil Hoot Out on a Limb."




"I have been designing ever since I can remember. My mother was very supportive in this process as I had free reign of her sewing room (something I am still in awe about now having children of my own). I love the creative process. I know it's been a good day of designing when you can't see the floor through all the fabric in my studio. I am addicted to fabric, how-to books, and thrift stores. I try to create things that will make people happy every time they see one of my items. All of my designs are original work inspired by the people and things around me. I proffesionally quilt all of my quilts on my long arm quilting machine."

In addition to maintaining her shop on Etsy, Elisa also has a full-service quilting business. You can find her website here: http://www.thebobbinsnest.com/. She provides nationwide quilting services using her Gammill longarm machine, including all over edge-to-edge designs, basting for hand quilters, custom designs, and binding. She has the Statler Stitcher computerized system, which eliminates many of the inconsistencies inherent in hand guided quilting work.

1 comment: